Monday, February 9, 2009

Famous five

I unlocked the old cabinet. There were many of my books, toys in it, ofcourse all of those when I was small, around 6 to 7 yrs old. I opened the photo album..there was a class photo of my 2nd standard..
I was right there in the front row. I had worn a shirt with checks and a red colored shirt. I looked cute in those small ponytails, tied with red ribbon. My school id was pinned on the left side of my shirt and a neatly folded handkerchief pinnned onto the right side.
I was mischievously beaming at Amber, my best friend. I was holding one of Gunja's ribbons in my right hand. Gunja was Amber's sister and she was standing next to our principal. She was distincly looking very worried; she had lost one of her red ribbons...
Our principal was a tall, smartly dressed lady. She looked elegant in her white chiffon saree with a sparkling bracelet and a long tinkling earring. She was very particular about the dress code(our school uniform) and all. And obviously Gunja was afraidfor our principal might notice the missing ribbon.
Our school was in the 15 D sector of a union territory, Chandigarh, capital of Haryana and Punjab. And D.A.V public high school was a well-known co-ed school in Chandigarh.
Amber, Preeti, Priyanka, Mustaffa and I, were the "Famous Five" mischief mongers of our school and ofcourse I was the gang leader.
I had automatically become the leader of our small gang; because every summer, I used to visit Bombay.
Mumbai, at that time was called Bombay, a city of dreams. Everyone dreamt of being there. A city where Bollywood resides. I claimed having met Amitabh, Sridevi, Anil Kapoor...and my friends had to believe me.
Our school break used to be at 10:40am, bell rang..and all five of us came out running out of the classrooms..entered the pre-nursery class. Mustaffa, and Priyanka monitored outside the class to alert if any teacher neared the class. I, being the leader, could take the control of the class. I took the big rule in my hand and tapped hard at the front desk. The class was quiet. I winked at Amber..Amber announced that there was going to be a selection round for the school play. Everyone was happy with the announcement and they knew I was the person with the authority...I was going to be the judge..
So the suditions began...
Some sang, some danced...they were the puppets and we held the strings controlling them...they danced to our tunes..we enjoyed a lot ...
A school peon entered the room..he knew we were at some kind of mischief..
We wagged our tongues making amusing faces..and ran out to open playground, hid behind the bushes, so the peon could no longer see us..
It was fun; we had great times together...
After my primary school, my family and I shifted to Mumbai. I dont know where my friends are now...
I dusted the photoframe, all the 5 mischief makers in the first row..
I hope to see my gang again...my friends..

2 comments:

  1. Well written!!!!
    The way how you link the past and the present is something really different tht I noticed.
    Reminds me of my childhood pranks and ofcourse the frnz whom we wld hav lost to keep in touch.

    -Ramya P.H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gang of five must have had many more experiences and encounters so,I would be interested rather everyone would be,to read much more about you all . I pray to God that you all meet up some day and enjoy talking about your past tc

    ReplyDelete