Monday, February 9, 2009

Mi Niño

I received the call...it was Sarah's call. Her voice seemed very weak...as if..she couldnt breathe..
She tried speaking..but she couldnt again..Then I heard her, "I have written all in the letter...my baby...please take care of her.."
Next I heard Jane's voice, Sarah's maid,"Ma'am..". She was crying.."Ma'am, Sarah is no more.."
I couldnt understand, "what happend? Where are you Jane?..Tell me...I need to speak to Sarah...what are you saying! ".
But the phone was disconnected. I tried calling back. Noone replied..Where could they be! what had happened to Sarah..

****-X---X---X---****

I was in Hyderabad for a project. Sarah had been my roommate for past 2 yrs..We had become the closest of friends. Then one day, we argued over something..She had a problem, she was pregnant.
It was her boyfriend, Joe's son. Joe kingman, the famous player of the Boston football team.
Sarah worked for a big advertising agency 'Alex' in Hyderabad and had met Joe during one of her campaigns. Sarah was beautiful and gorgeous. Joe had fallen for her..
They were in love with each other..On the last Valentine's day, Joe had gifted Sarah, a Rolls Royce. He really loved her.

But Joe hadnt promised marriage. It was just the beginning of his grand career. He didnt want any distractions and his aim was to win the championship for Boston. He was very passionate about his game.

I, being from a traditional Indian family suggested her to either marry him and secure a future for her baby or abort the baby. The latter was ruled out. We both didnt approve of it. And the former one, she didnt approve of. Joe had to prepare for the big event this season, and she didnt want to surprise him at this moment. Probably she was afraid that he might tell her to get rid of the child.

****-X---X---X---****

My parents didnt like the idea of an unmarried woman raising a kid...They didnt want me to stay with her. My attempts of convincing them were futile. Sarah overheard our arguments. She rented an apartment far away mine in the main Hyderabad city. Her mother had died when she was young. She had nobody else to look after her. Initially she lived alone with her unborn child. Then she kept Jane, a maid for her help.
I used to visit her on weekends. As months passed by, I became a bit worried. She hadnt yet told Joe about the baby. Then one day, Sarah told me that Joe had a new girlfriend and that she wanted to raise the kid alone. I think, Joe was still unaware of the existence of the baby and even if he did know, he didnt care about it.

****-X---X---X---****

The day for her delivery was nearing. I used to visit her often, bring her fruits, things that she liked...I felt guilty for I couldnt be with her, when she needed me the most.
On Sunday morning, for an important advertising campaign, Sarah had to go to work. It was her most important assignment. She drove her Rolls Royce,...and suddenly her labour pains started..
The next moment she was in hospital. She had met with an accident. She had lost lot of blood. Her baby was fine but due to lot of complications in delivery, she was in a critical condition. As she lay in her hospital bed, she wrote a letter to me. During her last few seconds, she had spoken to me.

****-X---X---X---****

I reached the hospital. Sarah lay peacefully on the bed. Jane was beside her. She handed me the letter.
The letter said
"Mon Amie, I trust you..I know you will take care of my child...Give her lots of love.."..I couldnt read further..

I looked at the baby...the creation of God...tiny, pink fair like an angel..
She had the blue eyes of Sarah..
My Sarah was back..

3 comments:

  1. Great one Akx...

    Great to see you up here, I am sure this is going to be a pretty enjoyable experience, for both you and people reading this blog.

    Enjoyed Reading this one and also the one's before. I feel your posts are really mature and very different from those of normal 24 year olds who probably are still stuck in their colleges (like me !! :-) )

    Keep writing, Keeping letting us know.. And dun worry, I will have my 2p ready for every thing you write !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am assuming this is fictional work..?? nice kushak

    ReplyDelete
  3. 7 posts in 9 days!! WowW How do u manage that!
    And welcome to Blogosphere Aks :)

    ReplyDelete